So much has happened in my life the past 4 weeks. Some good, some not so good, but from the not so good came greatness. Lets start on September 20th..
September 20th I was having my quiet time as usual. I felt this urgency in my spirit, and it was that urge that knew God had something to say to me but I wasn't quite sure what that was. I was at the point spiritually where I felt lost, and that my passion and burn for the Lord was dwindling. But God is faithful to fan our flame, to breathe his life back into us when we need it most.
Back to my story..
SOOO. I turn in my bible to 1 Kings 21 and begin to read the story of a man named Naboth. First of all, I don't recall ever reading this story even though I've read my bible through several times. Second, I was like, really? that old testament? aren't the Kings just about killing people? Third of all, I was so wrong. As I was reading this story of a man who probably never thought he'd change the world, who was just the average vineyard owner. There really wasn't anything special about him. But what WAS so special and significant was his response to the most unusual request.
King Ahab wanted to buy Naboth's vineyard and trade it for something else. But Naboth's response was "no I refuse to give up, trade, or let go of what was promised to me. this land is mine, this is my inheritance." And I was so blown away by such a little sentence. And it got me thinking.
How often is that true of us? We have an inheritance, things that belong to us. Things that are our rights as children of Christ. The plans God has for us, the gifts he longs to give us, the way he wants to use us. That is all fine and dandy. But the reality is, there is a "king" who wants to try and get you to trade or sell what God said is yours. And as I'm reading this God really began to speak to my heart. What are the things in my life I traded my inheritance for? What are those things in my life right now that ARE NOT the perfect will of God manifested in my life?
It was so surreal the way God was speaking to me. The level of revelation I had in that moment kept me on those scriptures for weeks. As a matter of fact, I'm still reading them. Immediately in my heart I knew what God wanted me to surrender and give up. But I didn't want to hear that. The thing that God wanted was the thing I was holding closest to my heart. But maybe thats why he wanted it. Cause it was closer to my heart than he was.
Well, long story short.
I didn't do what God asked me to do right away. It was until this past week and after SO MUCH confirmation that I got the hint. I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this thing had to go. And it wasn't easy for me. Not at all. But I know my life is so much better by being obedient and clinging on to what God has spoken to me.
Following God is a sacrifice. What is it costing you? Something you hold dear? For me, it was. But there is nothing I wouldn't trade to be in the will of the Lord. He comes first. Nothing above or beside. And now, its just me and Jesus. Just the way I like it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment