Sunday, December 26, 2010

driving blind.

I am not ashamed to admit it, I do have a tendency towards road rage. I love Jesus, and I will live for Him. But the second that a slow driver cuts in front of me, forget it! Salvation goes right out the window. Well, this one particular day, about 5 days ago, I was driving home from a fabulous night being with friends.

Now mind you, I drive a compact car. Chevy Cobalt. It's pretty small. So naturally, anything is bigger than my vehicle. But. I found myself being cut off by a HUGE truck-van type thing. I am shouting at this driver, even though he cannot hear me and I'm just wasting my breath, but God decided to get funny and teach me a lesson about faith.

Isn't that what faith is? Picture it. I am, or you are, driving, or walking, this road called faith- our relationship with Christ. We ultimately know our destination; where we want to be. The things God has called us to, our dreams, our ambitions. And we know the road we must walk, or drive, in order to get to "home". But isn't it funny, I found myself behind something much larger than I, completely blocking my view of what was ahead of me. The only things that I could see was what was behind me, and the things beside me to distract me.

And God began to speak to me on faith. That is EXACTLY what faith is. Faith is living beyond our eyes. Living beyond what we can see. Even when we know the road, we don't always know what traffic lights, stop signs, turns, jake brakes, or accidents are up ahead. We're just trusting that One person in front of us to direct us in the right way, ie; following God. The only difference is, God doesn't drive a car with rearview mirrors. He can't see what is behind. His car doesn't have side mirrors, because He has no distractions. He has one vision; ahead. He has one motion; forward. Faith is moving ahead even when you can't see. Faith is moving forward into the unknown but familiar. You may not know what that road holds, but you know the one who paved it and is leading you down it.

We don't always need to know the answers or need to see the next step. For me, God is beckoning me to walk blind. To close my eyes, hold out my hands, and say "Lord, take me where I've never been". Faith is Trust. You can't have one without the other.

Its time to take off the Christian cruise control. Its time to move forwad. Its time to take off the mirrors that reflect into our past and try to reflect into our futures. The past has built you to who you are, but it isn't who you are. The person you were a mile ago, she's gone. God has a new faith for TODAY. A new dream for TODAY. New forgiveness for TODAY.

Greater things are yet to come. I'm following Jesus. In faith. And trust.
Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment